Often in movies you must have seen these beautiful shots of the key protagonist moving around with a cordless electric lawn mower. It looks stylish, chic and extremely adaptable. But how good is it in reality? Does it deserve all the accolades it is bestowed upon in reel life or would you rather do with your conventional corded one? Well, there are many points of view but perhaps it is best to judge for your own self and what would suit your preferences. Here is a lowdown of the key features:
Key Features of Cordless Electric Lawn Mower
- No Cords, Runs On Battery: Perhaps the best feature is that it is not corded, no additional hassles and a constant search for an electric plug at a convenient distance. These lawn mowers essentially powered by battery, however, need to be charged at regular intervals. Often the life of a battery after a full charge is not more than one hour. For a smaller lawn it is the best option; however, if you have a bigger property, you need to consider the pros and cons.
- Battery Charging: However on the minus side, on an average the battery needs 8-16 for getting charged completely and all those hours translate to barely 1 hour of working time. Plus the constant charging of batteries often reduces their life span, and the cost of replacing batteries at regular intervals keeps escalating.
- Less Pollution: It is almost needless to mention that these batter-run lawn mowers do not emit any kind of oil or gasoline smoke hence is extremely environmental friendly. If you are interested in reducing the carbon emission on earth, this could be a convenient and practical choice. Additionally you can also do away with the problems constantly changing air filters, spark plugs and the like. However, coal powered plants still produce most of the electricity used and the emission from there is a major source of pollution in the country.
- Cost Factor: A comparative study of the various mower options would indicate that the cordless battery-run ones are actually cheaper than the bigger gas-operated lawn mowers. The cost of gasoline and constant fluctuation in oil prices too is a major worry.
- Mower Blade: Given the limited duration of power available for its effective functioning, the mower blades in a cordless one are never as long as what you find in the bigger lawn mower variants. This necessarily means that the mower needs to spend longer time getting the same amount of work done.
- Limited Range: Another aspect of a corded lawn mower is the looks aspect. Unlike the gas-powered ones, users normally have a relatively smallish range to choose from with hardly any great variation in the models available.
Points To Remember While Buying
So now that you are aware of the fundamental features of a cordless lawn mower, how would you go about buying it? You would say just fix the requisite list and follow it. We would recommend going through our easy buying guide:
- Always look for a mower with a mulching and bagging feature. This is beneficial for the simple reason that it helps you return nutrients to the soil along with clipping the grass
- The mower should have an indicator that clearly signals low battery. In this way, you don’t have to be suddenly stunned by a mower that stops working
- It is very important to ascertain the life of the battery and the time interval after which it needs to be replaced.
Hope you are able to decide on a value for money buy and use it to the hilt.